UNIDEN alarms

Uniden blog posts

Note: I do not sell or recommend Uniden alarm or remote controls

The Uniden VS2600XR or VS2600  as it seems to be more commonly know as is the top car alarm in the Uniden range. It meets AS/NZS3749.1 2003 Class A (Which admittedly does not count for much) and is one of the cheapest alarms on the market.

The 3 button remote found with the Uniden VS2600XR is the same remote found with all the other current Uniden alarms. The 3rd button is seldom used as it is designed for Unidens additional garage door open module.

The Uniden meets with NZSA approval and whilst it could never be called flash it still meets all the basic requirements.

Unidens Sales Pitch

One of Unidens next generation vehicle security systems

The VS2600XR is standards certified and is designed to meet the AS/NZS4601 immobiliser standard, as well as the AS/NZS3749 alarm standard. It includes black security function wires and a security housing that encloses the connectors (this makes it impossible for a thief to defeat the alarm by identifying the wires or unplugging the alarm).

Uniden VS2600XR Alarm/ Immobiliser

The VS2600RX has a big and clumsy security housing which makes it extremely difficult for an installer to hide. Because of this, chances are that the alarm module will be very easy for any “would be thief” to find and access, then he (or she) would only require a Phillips screw driver to get inside.

Once inside it is obvious where the Immobiliser points are and within a few seconds anyone with a little knowledge would have the vehicle started.

Given this I would have to say that Unidens claims are somewhat misleading. Anyone claiming that it is Impossible to defeat an alarm either has their head buried in the sand or is talking utter crap. Even the very best alarms can be defeated, but at least with a good installation and other measures an alarm can be made difficult to defeat.

To be fair to Uniden the VS2600XR is fairly cheap so you shouldn’t expect too much from it.

RRP: $499.00

Security Rating: AS/NZS3749.1 2003 Class A

Obsessive Rating: It’s cheap but then so was the Lada Riva!

Simply put, you get what you pay for. If you only need to make your insurance company happy then I can respect that it is tempting so save some cash and choose the cheap option. The question you need to ask is it “Do I need an alarm that will protect my car?” If the answer is yes then I’d suggest investing in a system that is more sophisticated.

Dual Immobiliser

Two 3 Button Remotes

Blue LED

Battery Back-up Siren

Glass Break Sensor

Boot Release output

Second car Operation

This entry was posted in Car Alarms, Reviews, Uniden. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to UNIDEN VS2600XR

1. Pingback: AVS Immobiliser | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

2. Russell Guise says:

My Uniden VS2600XR has stopped unlocking the car but will still disarm the motor How do I hix it?

It would help to know what vehicle it is installed in. It may be something as simple as a failed door motor or relay. Without seeing the vehicle I can only make an educated guess!

4. Nate says:

im having trouble installing my alarm. the door positive and door negative, i want them to operate the central locking but dont know how to wire them in. i have a 97 subaru forester. i have found the loom that operates it but it has 3 prongs for central locking. when numbers 1 AND/OR 3 are touching wire 2 the locks move and when not touching they move back. heeeeeeeeeeelp

Hi Nate,

I suggest that you contact Uniden for wiring info. If they are happy to sell alarms without installation then they really should have a technical help line!

Personally I would be looking for an alarm that offers more protection then a Uniden for a Subaru Forester, they are on the list of top ten most stolen vehicles here in NZ.

Be warned!

6. Dave says:

My uniden remote has broken and its the only one i have, how do i get it fixed/replaced?

Below is a link to Uniden so you can contact them to find your nearest dealer. Or you could pop in to your local Repco who have an account with them. Good luck in finding a staff member who knows anything about alarms however!

Do you know which model you have? Are you able to disarm the alarm and start the car?

8. Pingback: UNIDEN VS1600XR | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

9. Mark says:

Hey, Do you know where i could find a wiring diagram for one of these?

I would contact the person you purchased the alarm from. Failing that try Uniden technical support.

11. Sarah says:

Hi, I have the same problem as Dave (although his was a year ago) in that my remote is broken and I only have 1 🙁 I have a Forester, and I can’t disarm the alarm to start it. Apparantely I should have been given a card with a security code on it to disarm in an emergency, but who knows where that is. Any ideas??

Hi Sarah,

I’m assuming that you have a Uniden VS2600RX given that you posted the question here. It’s worth noting that Uniden have other alarms that work with this remote too.

You could contact Uniden technical support to find your nearest dealer, or get someone to bypass the alarm for you.

13. Pingback: Uniden “5 star” alarm defeated in seconds! | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

14. Matt says:

Hi. Have a 97 forester with a uniden alarm (sea400?) a cuple hours after my niece was playin with my keys the unit under the bonnet started to make a constant weird pretty loud noise. Used the reset key and it stopped but now the cars dead, I guess the immobiliser is on. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks Matt

Can’t say that I’ve come across a sea400. If you are in Wellington then I would be able to take a look at it for you. If not contact Uniden for technical support or ask them who your nearest dealer is.

16. Matt says:

It’s the backup siren under the hood. An accessory I beleive. Have looked it up but yet to find info on it. Il try ring a customer service number. Thanks anyway

17. BOB says:

I have the uniden vs 2600 system fitted to Toyota corolla

how do I manually override the system please

You should have an override code that came with the user manual. If you want the system removed then your local installer should be able to do this for you.

19. Richie says:

Hi, I have the same problem as Russel where the remote turns off the immobiliser but not unlock the doors. Its in a 96 Nissan Avenir. Sometimes if I press button 2 before button 1 or press button 1 twice the doors will unlock, but not always, I replaced the remote battery but it has not made a difference. Any ideas? I do have a turbo timer fitted, could that have an effect on it? TIA.

Sounds like a failed door motor or relay. If the other doors lock and unlock when you lock the drivers door manually then check the drivers central locking motor if functioning.