MONGOOSE M60 SERIES

MONGOOSE PRODUCT RANGE

MONGOOSE PRODUCT RANGE

The M60 from Mongoose has just had a revamp, as of March 2009 the new M60 comes with a new Remote and some new features.

The remote now has an additional panic button and icons to make it clear what each button does. It seems to be more rugged than the old two button remote it replaces.

The biggest weakness with the old remotes were the rubber buttons which would often wear out and didn’t really get on with finger nails! Personally I’ve carried out more repairs on the old M60 remote than any other alarm, but to be fair to Mongoose there are an awful lot of M60’s out there! The new remote looks like it will last longer than its predecessor but only time will tell how it actually performs.

NOTE: The new M60 Remote is not compatible with the pre-March 2009 M60 so make sure to order the right one if you are after a replacement.

Annoying “Features”

Moving onto the alarm the M60 can be a pain to live with, the M60 has what is known as an anti hot-wire feature. In plain English this means that if the vehicle is Immobilised and you go to start the car the alarm sets the siren off. It does not matter how careful you are to avoid this, sooner or later you will start cussing about how annoying it is as the Immobiliser only takes 30 seconds to arm. You’d only need to do this once or twice to piss your neighbours off and make them completely immune to the alarm, which is half the reason car alarms have such a bad reputation.

The Mongoose M60 Series Range of Alarms and Immobilisers

MONGOOSE M60G

MONGOOSE M60G

M60i (Mongoose 3 Star) Immobiliser

M60B (Mongoose 4 Star) Alarm/Immobiliser with Shock Sensor

M6oS (Mongoose 4 Star) Alarm/Immobiliser with Glass Break Sensor

M60GNZ (Mongoose 5 Star) Alarm/Immobiliser with Glass Break Sensor

M60G (Mongoose 5 Star) Alarm/Immobiliser, Glass Break/Shock Sensor

New M60 Series Goes Blue

The old dull red LED has now been replaced with a “Hyper Blue LED” and Mongoose have added a  built in Turbo Timer to the series.

What Security does the Mongoose M60 offer?

The Alarm module (apart from some new internals) is still the same as the bulky out going M60. This makes it hard for an installer to hide and once found the unit is easy to open and then by-pass.  As an immobiliser it is far to easy to defeat.

Vulnerable Remote Controls

It is also worth noting that the remote controls have a big security weakness as programming is not pin code protected.

Poor Battery Back-up Siren

The Battery back-up siren found on the 5 Star models still comes with an over-ride key which means that the installer must make it accessible which really defeats the purpose of having a battery back-up siren!

To make matters worse the M60G siren can be turned off in seconds without the key!

NEW M60 3 BUTTON REMOTE

Mongoose M60 Series RRP :

M60i $399.00

M60B $499.00

M60S $529.00

M60GNZ $529.00

M60G $599.00

Obsessive Rating: Below Average

For such a well known brand of alarm the Mongoose M60 is very disappointing!

OVERVIEW

Features:

Options:

• Built in Turbo Timer
  • Trunk Release

PDF iconM60 Series User Manual

This entry was posted in Car Alarms, Mongoose, Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to MONGOOSE M60 SERIES

1. Pingback: Mongoose M60 Remote Issues… « Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

2. current.edge says:

Hi Julian

I have a Mongoose M60G Installed in my Nissan Skyline and find the Immobiliser very annoying.

I quite often set the alarm off when trying to start the car and have to fumble for the remote to turn it off. I regret getting a mongoose alarm now, especially after reading your blog review. I totally understand your comments about the “Anti Hotwire” being more of a flaw than a feature! Reading my user manual I see that there is an option to turn the immobiliser off by selecting program option 9. My question is: Would turning the immobiliser off invalidate my car insurance?

Please help

Given that you have a Skyline I’d suggest replacing your Mongoose M60. I’ve sent you a PM with some options.

Regards,

4. Pingback: Mongoose M60 & M80 Series update. « Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

5. Pingback: Mongoose M25 | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

6. Rick says:

This is as good a place as any to ask you about anti-hotwire because of the presence of this on the M60: Under what circumstance could anti-hotwire ever be a implemented in a useful way? I just can’t figure out a workable scenario.

It requires an alarm siren, right? So the device has to be an alarm as opposed to a pure immobilizer. In order to get into the car the alarm must have either gone off already (incursion) or it has already been disabled in some way (in which case it’s in no position to make any noise).

How would this usefully work in an “ideal” alarm?

Hi Rick,

The scenario behind this “feature” is for when the alarm is “disarmed” but the immobiliser is active. The idea being it is for when the user has forgotten to arm the alarm and a scum bag comes along and attempts to hot-wire the car. The alarm would then sound!

It is a crazy idea because it works on the theory that all car thieves are stupid. Given how easy the M60 siren is to get past I assume that a thief would simply unplug the siren before having a crack at the immobiliser.

Even if they did trigger the siren the chances are that it would get ignored due to the fact the the whole neighbourhood is already immune to the alarm. All this because the alarm has already false triggered on numerous occasions when the owner has attempted to start the car after that 30 second immobiliser re-arm drop out time!

Personally I consider the feature to be a form of unnecessary noise pollution.

Anti-hotwire feature = MUPPETRY!

8. Rick says:

Of course – I forgot about auto-immobilize. I agree with the muppetry because in order to raise an alarm in this situation the system is ignoring the user’s previous “alarm disarm command” – that’s bad design because it’s not intuitive. If the user didn’t arm the alarm then the auto-immobilizer has no place making any noise unelss the user has the option of having the alarm auto-arm as well as the immobilizer (which would be bad).

I think a way to design such a feature might be to make a subtle reminder beep when the ignition gets connected and if it stays connected without getting a disarm command for 5 or 10 seconds /then/ raise an alarm. A non-thief would normally realize the problem and disarm the immobilizer in this period. Hell, you probably don’t even an audio reminder.

Well that’s what other alarms do. With Dynatron the Indicators and LED come on solid as a hint. It then enters PIN over-ride mode and if the pin is not put in the alarm auto-arms.

Autowatch simply have the LED on solid as a hint. Much less annoying for everyone. Even better would be a transponder Immobiliser.

10. Pingback: MONGOOSE M80 SERIES | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

11. Pingback: UNIDEN VS1600XR | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

12. Pingback: Steal Shield SS440, SS440U | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

13. Daniel says:

The dash LED comes on as a reminder that it’s armed the demobilizer.
    That said, I’ve set it off a few times. The arming delay should be adjustable. I also wholly agree with Rick on the idea of a “suble reminder beep”.

I have 2x Mongoose M60G alarms, which I installed myself in my own car and my wife’s car. I have worked in the security insdustry, and am an electronics engineer – installation was relatively straightforward, but requires a bit of patience when you don’t have the vehicle wiring diagrams. I didn’t find there to be any problem at all with hiding the ‘bulky’ brain/immobilizer – it’s much more important to disguise the wiring to make it look factory, so you can’t trace it back to the brain.
    Very happy with this alarms overall performance. …but the Mongoose distributor ‘support/technical’ guy doesn’t know s**t!

14. Pingback: Subaru Impreza such an easy target! | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

Not impressed with the battery in this siren:

16. ash says:

my husband changed the knock sensor in my sons car.. because he discounted the battery, now the alarm in the car wouldn’t work, the system has gone in safemode.. can anyone help us how to get out of the safemode. its M60..
    we brought the car with the alarm so have no idea who the installer is thanks

I’m not aware of a “safe mode” with the M60. My suggestion is to contact Mongoose for technical support.

18. Mel says:

I have very recently purchased a Mitsubishi Legnum which came with a mongoose alarm already installed, my problem is in the last couple days it uas started spasming i will alarm the car with the remote and all of a sudden the car will deAlarm then reAlarm then start scretching then deAlarm then reAlarm itself and will also do this if i just shake/move the remote… Is this a remote replacement or has something gone seriously wrong with the whole system?

Hi Mel,

Sounds like the tack switch on the remote is stuck down. If the alarm is not doing this when the remote is out of range (or the remote battery is removed) it will confirm this.

If you need a new remote then get in touch with me via the contact form.