Cobra AK4615

New Zealand Product Range

New Zealand Product Range

CAN-BUS Vehicle List

The number of vehicle now featuring CAN-BUS is rapidly growing.

Here is a full list of compatible cars which I update on a regular basis.

Note: If your vehicle is not listed then chances are it can be wired as a PLIP upgrade alarm, please contact me for details.

New from Cobra is the AK4615, which is really taking alarm technology to a new level. Not only does the alarm feature a wireless siren (more about that later) and Ultrasonic Sensors, but it also works as a CAN-BUS, or PLIP (upgrade) alarm, plus has the option of operating from a Cobra remote. Great for those who acquire a car with only one remote key as the Cobra option is normally much more affordable then a second remote key from the dealership.

CAN-BUS or PLIP Alarm

Andromeda Mobile

Mobile Software updates and custom programming.

The AK4615 can be configured to work in almost any vehicle as it can be programmed for CAN-BUS software or as a conventional Upgrade alarm. Each unit needs to be programmed before installation and simply plugs into a computer via the USB port to hook up to the Cobra’s Andromeda software program. Personally I carry a laptop so I can make program changes on the road.

Once plugged in the installer can select between CAN-BUS and PLIP Alarm then decide which vehicle platform the alarm needs and change most of the features.

Having had a play myself I can say that the alarm is very versatile but does require some technical knowledge to fully understand what it is capable of. There are many hidden gems in the programming options which allows for some creative installation options.

What features the alarm offers varies massively between vehicle make and models. For example, many of the German cars will inform the alarm if a window is left open, the alarm will then disable the ultrasonic sensors to avoid a false alarm and chirp a warning tone on arming to notify the owner. The alarm can also disarm when the vehicle is presented with a valid transponder key.

Some manufactures have a far more basic CAN-BUS network so it’s worth asking about what features are available for your own car.

Minor programming changes such as siren arm/disarm chirp selection and volume can still be adjusted once the alarm is in the vehicle.

Cobra Wireless Siren

Cobra-Wireless-SirenThe AK4615 is the first car alarm to feature a wireless siren.

Whilst it still needs a power supply to charge the battery back-up siren there is no longer the need to wire the siren up to the alarm ECU which saves the need to run cables between the two.

The Wireless siren also passes the Obsessive water test

Only One Way Communication

The Siren has a bonnet switch input which will trigger it into action if opened when armed, so there is no need to run any cables though the firewall. That said because there is only one way wireless communication from the alarm ECU to the siren, the bonnet sense wire only triggers the siren into life and not the main alarm. Having said that many CAN-BUS vehicles already have a factory bonnet switch that the CAN-BUS system will read directly. For cars that don’t, this means that the pager out-put or hazard lights won’t activate if the bonnet is opened. If you do want this feature then it maybe worth asking the installer to hard wire a bonnet switch to the main alarm ECU.

Horn Honk and second siren

The alarm has a dedicated horn honk output and can also have a the Cobra 4310 siren added.

New Features

The AK4615 effectively replaces both the AB3868 and the AK4908. It also has plenty of new features lacking in past models such as Pager out-put and the ability to hook up a second digital siren, or Immobiliser (remember not all CAN-BUS vehicles have a factory immobiliser, for example 2012 Corolla Wagon).

AK4615 CAN-BUS Alarm

Cobra 4615

Cobra AK4615

RRP: $700.00

Insurance Approved:

Thatcham Cat 2-1 Upgarde alarm

Can be programmed for CAN-BUS or PLIP configuration

Obsessive Rating:
Class Leading Security

Cobra seems to be the only manufacture who have a active R&D department. The only alternatives seem very outdated!

OVERVIEW

Features:

Options:

Additional Information:

How to disable sensors when arming:

Written sensor disable post here…

PDF icon4615 Series User Manual (English pages only)

This entry was posted in CAN BUS Alarms, Car Alarms, Car Security, Cobra, Reviews, Upgrade Alarms, Wireless Sensors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Cobra AK4615

1. Marko Markovski says:

I have purchased Cobra 4615 and I got pin code which I would like to change by myself. Please tell me how to enter a new one. Also they told me NOT to by back up siren because original one will continue to sound in the event of cutting the battery power ???
    I am not sure of that and I think I need Digital Battery Back-up Siren.
    Thank You very much in advance for Your Answer.
    Marko

Hi Marko,

You’ve already asked the same question in the cobra pin code over-ride post.

Why are you not dealing with whoever sold you the alarm?

3. Pingback: Mongoose MAP70 | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

4. Pingback: GT86 Alarm Installation | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

5. Pingback: Upgrade Alarm Muppetry! | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

6. Julie says:

How do i turn the chirp on for AK4615 once the alarm is in the car ? I entered the programming procedure by opening my drivers door, bonnet, connecting blue cable to ground and entering password. I managed to adjust the volume of the alarm, but how do i turn the chirp on so when I arm the car it makes a sound and when I disarm.

I only offer after sales support to my customers so my advise is to ask your installer this question.

If it is one of my installs then feel welcome to email me with the car details rather then putting your details on a public forum.

8. Julie says:

I got my alarm installed in Hamilton. Lost contact to my installer. I’ll pay you $20 if you explain how to turn the chirp on. thanks

Programming instructions are confidential to cobra installers and are not for sale.

Your Cobra dealer for Hamilton is Trends Car Audio. Pop in and speak to Bret, he’ll be happy to help you.

10. Pingback: Cobra AB3868 | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

11. Steve says:

Just had this security system installed by Julian

Not an easy decision for me to get anyone to fit a security system to my car having had over 10 years of experience doing it myself (but not being able to for health reasons)
    Over those years I had experienced many shocking installs not just from people trying to install alarms themselves but also from companies who state they are professionals.
    Also may companies trying to push their products selling the benefits whilst hiding the negatives (Which usually outweigh the positives)

After initially emailing Julian because of the good vibe I got from his website and because it looked like he was genuinely concerned about doing the best for the customer I made an appointment to have the alarm installed that we decided was the best fit for my new car.

Julians ability to come across knowledgeable, professional and customer oriented was not just an online attempt to gain a sale,Julian went out of his way to drop me at my work after discussing the installation options available, installed the system then came and picked me up afterwards and advised how the system worked.

This guy has proven that there are genuine people out there that you can trust to do right by your needs.

Thanks Julian, I have no hesitation to recommend you to anyone else, for any product you choose to install.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot coming from someone with past experience in alarm installing.

I can appreciate why it was not a easy decision to trust someone else to work on the car!

13. Mark kirkham says:

Hi I have a transit mk7 2010 I need a alarm but I need plips as we are in & out of the van all day and they wear out as we are in houses all day of wich some are not nice we lock my keys in a safe and need to use a plip instead the van is canbus so a plip or proximity would be ideal thanks if you can help

Hi Mark,

I assume you mean “remote controls” when you use the word plip?

From your IP address it looks like you are in the UK so it’s probably going to be a waste of time emailing you any pricing options. If I’m wrong then please fill in the contact form as I’ll need more details then this to give you a quote. Also it’s better to keep such info private.

In regards to your question it sounds like a remote upgrade alarm would be more suitable for your needs which would still work fine in an 2010 Transit.

15. Colin White says:

Can you advise me if this has an alarm triggered output I can use to do some action like send an SMS for example?

Many thanks
    Colin.

Hi Colin,

The AK4615 does have a pager output which is triggered when the alarm sounds which can be hooked up to a Pager or GPS system to let you know that the alarm has triggered. Note that “Pager Output” is listed under options. Your local Cobra dealer should be able to wire this up for you.

17. Rick Archer says:

Hi Julian ,

I am interested in either Cobra AK4615 or Autowatch 695Can for my work ute .
    There doesn’t seem to be anybody in Sydney that sells these products . Do you know of anybody that supplies and or installs same , across the ditch .

Cheers ,
    Rick

Hi Rick,

I can’t say I have any knowledge about installers your side of the ditch so can’t recommend any one personally.

You just reminded me about the dodgy looking Cobra website your side of the ditch. I should do some more homework and do a post about them. There are no current models listed plus some made up ones by the looks of things! I was told in the past that they refused to respond to a question about their systems being genuine! Would be great if you could contact them asking about the AK4615 and let me know what response you get.

Dynamco are the importer of Autowatch over there so I suggest contacting them to find out if there is anyone local to you

19. stu says:

Does the Cobra A4615 need pre programming, or is it a plug n play install to a canbus car?

Hi Stu,

The AK4615 needs the correct software programmed for your specific vehicle. It is not a plug and play system and should only be installed by a trained Cobra approved installer. In other words it is not a DIY alarm and you run the risk of damaging you your cars multiplex system if you get tap into the wrong wire.