Autowatch 555 CLAM

Autowatch Product range

Autowatch Product range

The 555 CLAM  is an upgrade alarm from Autowatch, it features the same battery back-up siren found on the 446RLi Premium and also has a small attack proof security housing.

As with all upgrade alarms the 555 CLAM is designed to operate from using your factory remote control  (read the Upgrade Alarm Introduction post for a better understanding).

The Autowatch comes with a glass break sensor as standard (in New Zealand) but this can be changed depending on your requirements. In Europe the 555 CLAM comes with Ultrasonics and is approved as a Thatcham CAT 2-1 upgrade alarm.

Intelligent alarm!

The 555 CLAM is intelligent, where lesser upgrade alarms simply monitor the signal wires to arm and dis-arm (see Mongoose and Dynatron in the coming weeks) the Autowatch can actually learns the timing sequence. This makes it a great alarm for any competent installer and if fitted correctly makes it impossible to trick into disarming by sly methods!

Volatile Memory Issue!

Having said that I highly recommend installing the 555CLAM in what Autowatch call “Master Motor Mode” where possible. The 555CLAM has an issue where it can lose it’s programming memory if the battery is slowly discharged. It seems OK if the battery is disconnected when fully charged, but if left to go flat over a period of time the alarm programming is often reset.

Remote Boot Bypass

The 555 CLAM has a boot sense wire which means that if your factory remote has a boot open button then the Autowatch will disarm the boot and the internal sensor when it is pressed (leaving the main doors still armed), then fully re-arm upon shutting the boot.

Other Features

The key guard feature (Note: it is only an option) is a nice idea on paper. It involves having to press a hidden switch every time you start the car, in reality this is going to become annoying and will end up being turned off! Cobras Drivers card is a far more sophisticated way of guarding your keys against theft.

Horrid emergency over-ride!

One of the weak points with the 555CLAM is the pin code over-ride. It requires turning the ignition on, then pressing the over-ride switch to start entering the code (see user manual for full details). The switch is ugly so it’s not realistic to place is in a nice location. I’ve seen some installers place them installed behind the glove box before now making it mission impossible to for the user should they ever need it! It really could have been better thought out.

The door inputs also need to be boosted with a relays on some cars to trigger the alarm. Whilst this is not a problem for the user it is annoying from an installers point of view.

Autowatch 555CLAM!!!

Autowatch 555 CLAM

RRP NZ: $570.00

Insurance Approved

Obsessive Rating: A versatile alarm which is very effective!

Would be great to see it come with a pager out-put, and the over-ride pin code needs a better design, but on the whole a good alarm so long as you don’t let your battery drain!

Additional Information:

Diagnostic Alarm Trigger Reports

PDF icon555 CLAM User Manual

This entry was posted in Autowatch, Car Alarms, Reviews, Upgrade Alarms. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Autowatch 555 CLAM

1. Pingback: Autowatch Immobiliser | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

2. Stevo says:

How do I turn off the annoying “chirps” when I arm/disarm the 555 CLAM?

Your local Autowatch dealer should be able to turn the chirps off for you.

4. Munish says:

Hi I have a ’09 Ford XR6, can you please suggest if 555 CLAM alarm be good for it or which one will provide more security to the car?

Thanks much!

If your Falcon is the New shape (FG Series) then the 695CAN would be my recommendation.

6. Munish says:

Thanks Julian, yes it is FG Series; Are you able to give me a quote??

Hi Munish,

I’ve just sent you an email with pricing for the 695CAN

8. Glenn says:

Hi, would this be a good alarm for an EVO7? I was considering the Mongoose MAP80 until I read your review….. 😉

Hi Glenn,

Yes it would, but only if your Evo7 has a factory transponder immobiliser.

This post covers the details:

10. Glenn says:

Hi Julian, thanks for that… I will need to confirm. If not, what would be your recommendation for an alarm that also has at least 2-points of immobilisation?

That really depends on where you are located (the installer matters) and your requirements. Flick me an email ( and I can send you some options rather then go off subject here.

12. Bill Keesing says:

I am looking at putting an alarm in my 2000 Holden Commodore VT. Would this alarm be suitable for my vehicle?

Hi Bill,

The 555CLAM works fine in the Commodore VT.

14. Tim says:

would this system be suitable for a 1996 BMW 316i (E36)? And can can I do a DIY?

Hi Tim,

Autowatch systems are only available with installation here in NZ.
    Assuming that your E36 has existing keyless entry and Immobiliser then the 555CLAM would be suitable.

16. Gary says:

replaced vehicle battery and now the alm not working. The light will flash once and siren beep once when reset swich pressed.

When I lock and unlock the vehicle now the alm will not cherp as before and no light indication duing this operation of arm and disarm.

What is the sequence I need to follow to reset the alm after vehicle battey replacement please?

Hi Gary,

I have an agreement with Autowatch that prevents me from publishing fitting/programming instructions.
    It’s also worth noting that the programming sequence varies depending on how it was wired up. My advise would be to take it back to the original installer, failing that go to your local Autowatch dealer.

18. Pingback: Some jobs are best turn down! | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

19. Divesh says:

I have an Autowatch 555 Clam fitted in my vehicle here in south africa

The technicians at pfk has told me that this system does not have an overide pin code??

can you plase kindly confirm.

Hi Divesh,

Yes the 555CLAM does have a pin code over-ride. If you read the review you just commented on you’ll see that I mention how horrible it is to use. I also refer to the user manual which is in PDF format at the end of the review.